Monday, April 11, 2011

Planning to change your last name after the wedding & don't know where to start?

If you plan to change your name after you get married, you need to file a name change with Social Security. Below are some steps to help with the process.

Step 1:
Pick up an Application for a Social Security Card at a local Social Security Administration (SSA) office. This is the document you need to change any information on record with the Social Security Administration, including your name. Some cities require you to apply in person for the replacement card, according to the SSA. Check the requirements of your local office by calling 1-800-772-1213.
Step 2:
Print out a blank copy of the name change application if you would like to change your name via mail. The application may also be printed out, filled out in blue or black ink and and hand-delivered to the local SSA office.
Step 3:
Locate your certified marriage license or the certified court document from the local family court granting your name change. The SSA office needs to view the original forms, not copies, in order to update your name and issue a replacement card.You should also be sure to order an additional "certified" copy of your marriage license since you wont get that one back.
Step 4:
Find an identifying document which shows your former last name. The document should also include either a photo or date of birth. A driver's license, even an expired one, is acceptable proof of your former legal last name, according to the SSA. Other acceptable forms of identification include your US passport or an identification card issued by your home state.
Step 5:
Make copies of your all of your original documents, including the application, before mailing them or bringing them into the SSA office.
Step 6:
Change your name on your driver's license with your new Social Security Card as proof of your new name. Once you have changed your name on your social security card and driver's license, you should proceed with changing it elsewhere, including your cable, internet, cell phone, gas, oil, credit card and garbage collection bills.

Social Security Card info and photo credit:

No comments:

Post a Comment